Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Meditate on your personal quirks. Then celebrate the simple

Thinking ordinary today. Simple, quirky and pleasing.
I love folded potato chips. They are the odd potato caught in mid flip when tossed into the fryer. Besides a crazy shape the folded chip boasts  a higher crunch factor and a spunky chip personality. And, since there isn't as many of them in a bag if you make a pact to only eat the folded chips, countless calories are saved. Bonus!


Most of my friends and family know I love folded potato chips. And, I'm constantly presented with gifts of folded chips at restaurants, picnics, family gatherings... A quirky celebration shared by friends and family.


Folded chips. Such a small delight. So very random, but such crunchy fun. 


I also love frosting. I like it better than cake. Frosting is prettier and often comes with sprinkles. It tickles my teeth, and frosting flowers are sweet sugary petals straight from heaven.  When I realized I loved frosting more than cake, I found friends who felt the same about cake over frosting, and we've formed cake feasting duets. Two forks. One plate. A perfect pairing.


Heaven is a fork and frosting... Such a sweet delight. Small, but ahhhh! Bliss.


I also love climbing into bed at night after a long day. Before I get in, I pause for just a second and prep... for the initial luscious rush of horizontal rest. The first moments of laying in bed feel marvelous. Beds are wonderful. Pillows are fabulous. I'm fortunate to have three pillows to sculpt to my body each night. 


Going to bed is so routine, and yet mmmm, what a luxury. A party in PJ's.


We all have crazy busy days.   
It seems laundry and dishes are endless. Bills keep coming every month. We either need to: get to work, work, or find work—everyday. It's overwhelming and stressful and worrisome...but that doesn't mean we can't find fragments during the day that bring us happiness. 


Remember to pause... prepare for the momentary celebration, and then revel in it's miniature glory.


Stop and concentrate on a small mediocre moment you find funny, tasty, relaxing etc. Some of mine are folded chips, bedtime, frosting, dogs, my first sip of coffee, or bite of hot pizza, biking to icecream, washing my face at night...
And then, pause for a moment to concentrate on the ordinary quirk you enjoy. As the old saying goes, "Remember to stop and smell the roses" 


...Ahhh flowers. I love daisies. They are optimistic. They are sunshine I can hold. Such a happy flower.


Such tiny, quirky things, but if they makes you smile inside—make it your celebration.


It's Tuesday... what are you celebrating?

No comments:

Post a Comment